Mega Sale Domains @ Rs.99

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Spa review: Paraffin pedicure & manicure

Spa review: Paraffin pedicure & manicure


When I was asked to choose from the spa menu prior to my appointment, I wanted something light for my body as I had taken a massage the week before. Paraffin interested me because it was different. You can’t miss the recently launched VLCC Skin & Hair Spa located on the main road in the posh South Delhi Safdarjung Enclave. The spa has a very rich, heritage feel which extends to the interiors. I make myself comfortable on a huge suede chair and am soon greeted by the spa manager. As I follow her for a quick chat prior to the session, I can’t help notice the Persian carpets, the aromatic candles, the lovely flowers at the spa.


I am led to the manicure and pedicure room and given a disposable gown and a cotton one to be worn over it. I change into the gowns in the massage room which is dotted with pink orchids. I settle on the massage chair. As the masseur turns on the tap for the pedicure, a jet of cold water rushes to my feet. Someone had mistakenly turned off the geyser. I don’t mind it so much as I am sipping on my white wine and watching a lifestyle channel.

I don’t deny the warm ambience of the room. I am glad there isn’t another client on the next massage chair. The room doesn’t accommodate more than two people at a time which is good because you can enjoy your session in privacy, though I have a lot of staffers strutting in and out.
By the time the water heats up, it starts leaking from the tub on to the floor and wets my shoes. They are put aside and I am shifted to the next chair. Alas! I dip, my feet in warm water.

Another masseur asks if he can begin the manicure. The massage chair is switched on and my back enjoys a lovely massage till the chair stops midway. I am asked if I would like my toe nails cut. Would I like square or an oval shape? Certainly square! The toe nails are filed. I really like the wooden file it’s so comforting unlike the steel ones. I put my feet back in water. The masseur opens two jars of creams and takes out some in tiny glass bowls.

Meanwhile, I am told my finger nails don’t need to be cut and the masseur begins to file them. My preferred shape-square! He brings two bowls of blue lukewarm water and places them on the manicure table. I dip, my hands—I wish the water was warmer. I can feel lovely bath salts at the bottom; they help in cleaning the skin. They are available in the market in lovely colours.

The masseur applies almond based foot cream on my toe nails. It nourishes the skin and has anti-aging properties. After rubbing the cream, he begins to clean the cuticles to remove the dead skin. I always find this part slightly painful. Would I like my cuticles cut? No way... I am told to remove one hand from the water and the masseur applies the cream on my nails and repeats the process on the other. He rubs the disposable wooden stick against a stone to lessen its sharpness and the cuticles hurt lesser. I also feel less ticklish. I put my hands back in water.

The masseurs apply white walnut, sandalwood and sunflower scrub on my feet, legs, hands and arms. The scrub helps in exfoliating dead skin. The scrub is washed off with water and I am given a multivitamin (myrrh and almond) oil massage. You are always advised to moisturise your skin after using a scrub because it dehydrates the skin. The oil is wiped off with a towel.

Now comes, the lovely pink strawberry flavoured paraffin wax. I am asked to dip my hands one by one in the warm wax and quickly remove. I repeat the process thrice for the hands and the feet till the wax forms a thick layer. You are not supposed to move for about 10 minutes as any cracks can make the wax lose its purpose.

“The heat generated from the wax improves the poor blood circulation of the hands and feet. Since the wax is therapeutic it heals cracked and dry heels. The wax is mixed with aroma/essential oils which have hydrating properties. They penetrate the skin and nourish it, apart from giving the wax a lovely fragrance,” informs Dr Shobha Sehgal, head, beauty VLCC.

“The oils have anti-bacterial properties as well and make the wax safe for use for others. If your skin is peeling or you have skin problems, the spa doesn’t recommend the treatment, to avoid contamination of the wax. While the spas use flavoured wax, white paraffin wax is often used for physiotherapy in hospitals. It is also helpful for those suffering from arthritis as the heat warms up the joints.” She adds.

While the wax is warm, my hands and feet feel protected. As it dries, it’s taken off. My hands are left soft and moisturised. The wax seems to have removed the dead skin and lightened the tan on my feet as well.

The spa chooses the wax according to the season. Strawberry has “Vitamin C, anti-aging and hydrating properties. So it’s best suited for winters,” says Sehgal. The spa uses Aloe Vera wax for very dry skin. You can experience “lemon flavoured paraffin wax” at the spa in summers because “lemon has anti-tan properties and a citrusy feel, which is refreshing in summers,” says Sehgal.

Paraffin wax is imported from Italy in the form of a brick and melted in the wax heater at the spa. The treatment is more popular in the West where it gets really cold. It is more expensive as it takes a little longer (10-15 minutes more), and is not available at every spa. VLCC launched it six years back.

As I near the last ritual of the pedicure and manicure, I am asked if I would like my nails painted. The masseurs don’t look too pleased at my nod and inform me that I’ll have to wait for another 15 minutes for the polish to dry. I am told to change into my clothes. I am shown a big tray of nail paints to choose from, I go for plum. The nail polish is well applied with two coats. The masseurs take their leave with a ‘thank you’. The treatment is recommended every 15 days in winters and once in two months (for cracked heels and dry skin) in summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment