Mega Sale Domains @ Rs.99

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Carnival make-up tips and tricks

Carnival make-up tips and tricks

The glitz and glamour

By Rhea-Simone Auguste rhea.auguste@trinidadexpress.com

When you play mas, does your make-up streak when you start to sweat? Do your applied gems fall off when you start to jump? Does your lipstick rub off on the edge of your disposable cup? There are solutions to all of these problems and a lot of the other make-up challenges you may run into during the season. Fabulust make-up artist Camille Charlerie honed her skills doing make-up for band launches and for masqueraders and she's been keeping track of what works best for the road.

"Bold and bright eye makeup colours are always the rave for Carnival. What I've found works best to make your brights look their brightest, always use an eyeshadow primer and base," she shared.

Love the dramatic look? Charlerie said: "Gems and lashes create all the Carnival drama you would need to finish your costume. But, my advice on this is—please use spirit gum to apply your gems but not to stick your lashes. This is a mistake a lot of people make but there are specific glues for lashes."

"If you're a do-it-yourself person, use either the Ardell brand or a good option is the M.A.C Duo. But when it comes to lashes, I always recommend getting them professionally done as they would probably last longer and it will be less frustrating for you. Also, if you choose to do your own lashes, strips are easier to apply than Individual lashes," she added.

Still on the topic of lashes, Charlerie said coloured lashes are popular during the season and can really add to your overall look.

"If you want just a hint of colour on your lashes or you are not as brave to wear full coloured lashes, a good idea is to layer it with a strip of regular black lashes beneath. And to keep lashes on longer, refrain from using pencil eyeliners around the eyes as the wax from the pencil will loosen the glue on the lashes, gel liner or liquid liner are the best options."

It's not uncommon to see strange tan spots where applied beads were on a masquerader's face on Ash Wednesday morning. To avoid this splotchy look, Charlerie said: "Always use a face primer or foundation with SPF to help protect your skin against the sun. This would help to prevent the tan circles you may see when you remove your gems."

Now on to the main tips, how do you keep a fresh look all day? Charlerie gave this advice: "Caking on foundation will not look right. Instead use a layering technique with your powder and some fix-it spray to keep your look fresh all day long."

And how do you keep your lipstick on your lips all day? "For lips that can stand against your drinking on the road, make sure to line lips and fill in lips with liner as well, use more matte textured liners and lipsticks as these stay in place longer. Also, keep gloss on top of this minimal as the oils from the gloss will help break down the product on your lips and you would lose your lip colour faster."

For Charlerie, 24, the move to Carnival make-up artistry was an easy one. After years of playing around with her own make-up, she decided to follow her passion and get certified as a make-up artist. "When I would go out, the most exciting part of it for me would be in applying my make-up and people would always ask me who did my make-up for me.

As a result, I found myself being hired to do make-up for graduations and other special occasions because people just liked the way I did my own make-up… My mom always said since I was 3 years old I used to steal all her make-up and go into a corner and decorate my face, so I think it was my destiny to become a make-up artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment